Spencer James Academy Services
Our professional staff provides the highest level of multidisciplinary care that begins with a comprehensive academic, social skills, and mental health assessment. Then an individualized program for success is designed for each individual, child or adult.
The full curriculum aligned with Florida Department of Education - Sunshine State Standards. The core curriculum subjects of reading, writing, science and mathematics are challenging. These are presented in the morning when young minds are "fresh" and more receptive to learning.
In the afternoon, the students are enriched by Art, Music, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Technology, Library/Research Skills and Physical Education. In addition, each child shall receive the following as needed:
- Individualized Educational Assessment
- Small group and one-to-one instruction
- Remediation to reach grade level performance
- Instruction that mirrors your child's natural learning style
- Technology Aided Instruction
Mental / Behavioral Health Services
Individual, group, and family counseling for challenging children who are who are in need of Mental / Behavioral Health Services, including:
- Psychiatric Evaluations
- In-depth Assessments
- Medication Management and Monitoring
- Individual, Family & Group Therapy (at home or office)
- Self-esteem Enhancement
- Socialization Skills Training
- Anger Management & Self-control
- Communication (Positive Speaking Style)
- Problem Solving (Conflict Resolution & Respect for Authority)
Basic Living & Life Skills Development Training
- Self Care:
- Personal Hygiene, Dressing, Grooming, Cooking and Medical Care
- Cleaning Home Environment:
- Fire Safety, Housekeeping and Laundry Maintenance
- Accessing Transportation:
Group Therapeutic Care Services
- Counseling Relationship Building:
- Basic Social Skills, Anger Management, Communication & Problem Solving Skills
- Sex Education:
- Appropriate Sexual Contact (“good touch, bad touch”) Sexual Privacy, Sexually Transmitted Diseases & Universal Precaution
- Medication Management/Education
Group Therapeutic Care Services
- Psychiatric Evaluation
- Medication & Symptom Management & Patient Education
- One to One Individual Counseling
- Family Therapy
SJA teachers do not simply provide superior instruction - our teachers lead, inspire and excite. They have been chosen because of their passion for the job and their ability to relate to students in a loving, supportive manner. Many possess advanced and special education degrees and have dedicated their careers to SJA. They find true delight in teaching and are committed to igniting the potential in every student.
A family-like atmosphere allows our teachers to get to know and appreciate all students and treat them as though they were their own. Our faculty, staff and administrators are dedicated to our students’ growth and welfare. The bonds that develop between teachers and students tend to remain strong long after graduation.
We believe that students are most likely to be high achievers when students, parents and school personnel have open, strong and mutually accountable relationships. Thus we value and welcome frequent conversation with parents. We maintain an Open Door Policy with our parents, responding to parent e-mails and voice messages as soon as possible within 24 hours.
Our professional staff provides the highest level of multidisciplinary care that begins with a comprehensive academic, social skills and mental health assessment. Then an individualized program for success is designed for each child.
SJA has open enrollment. Parents or guardians can enroll a child throughout the school year. The admission process begins with a visit to our school, including a tour. During the visit, families receive a packet containing all required application materials.
The admission procedure for SJA requires a psycho-educational evaluation. The evaluation enables the SJA admissions committee to determine the appropriateness of our program for your child. We are especially interested in a complete assessment of the type and degree of your child’s learning abilities.
This assessment must be done by a qualified professional within 30 days of application to SJA. The assessment must include detailed subtests of the following:
- Results of diagnostic interview must include:
- Cognitive testing
- Achievement testing
- Psycho-social evaluation
- Measures of information procession: These instruments should evaluate processing speed, auditory processing, visual-motor speed and processing, and both long and short term memory.
- Assessments to rule in or out Attention Deficit Disorder, with scores that reflect both objective and subjective criteria. Examples are: Acters, Conners, Gordon Diagnostic and TOVA. Results must include a specific diagnosis and actual test scores must be included (standard & percentile scores are acceptable).
Applicants must also:
- Schedule a personal interview to take place on campus. Parents may arrange to speak with a representative of the faculty or administration while their child is being interviewed.
- Submit the application forms.
- Provide a copy of the student’s birth certificate.
- Provide copies of report cards, including current mid-year grades and last year’s grades, along with a record of standardized testing for the past year from the current school. A Request for Records Form is provided for your convenience below.
SJA actively seeks and admits qualified students. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, disability or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies and other school-administered programs.
There is no tuition charged to parents and/or guardians.
SJA utilizes public and private donations to cover the costs for teaching staff, uniforms, student activity fee and lunch.
Please visit our donation page for more information.
Spencer James Academy
817 North Dixie Highway
Pompano Beach, Florida 33060
In order to maintain our free educational support, your tax-deductible donations are always welcome. The Academy is always in need of cash assistance and school supplies.
Call us today!